Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Praise the Power of Pesto!

Don't you just love alliteration?

Well, I wanted to pass along this recipe. Rusty and I LOVED it! I thought it might help some people in our families who received some pesto from our trip to Italy and haven't had any idea on how to use it. I also wanted to post this in honor of my mother's cherry tomato plants...and I don't know if Daddy Russell is growing cherry tomatoes this season, but he probably is, and he probably already has had several tasty treats from it! It was super easy to make and really delicious!

Indgr:

Jar of pesto (small is fine, pesto goes a long way)
little box of cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
2-3 chicken breasts, cut in half
2 tablespoons of cream cheese (if on hand...not really necessary)
pam spray
linguine noodles (or other noodles you have on hand)

Directions:

Clean chicken and cut in half. Coat skillet with pam spray, heat on med-high heat. Put chicken in and cover with lid. Cook for 5-7 minutes, flip chicken, cook another 2-3 minutes until done.

While chicken is cooking, cook noodles as directed.

After chicken is done, add jar of pesto to skillet. Be careful, the pesto will pop at you because it has olive oil in it...so, be careful! You can turn the heat down just a bit to calm down the popping. Stir around to heat pesto. Add cream cheese if you have it on hand to give the 'sauce' a creamier texture. (As one of my friends found out, you cannot substitute cream cheese for sour cream) :) **It won't be sauce-y, but it will be enough...like I said, pesto goes a long way.
Add tomatoes, heat.

Serve over noodles and enjoy!

1 comment:

Beth said...

I'll admit it -- I'm that friend! ;)

Here's another good recipe for Chicken Pesto-y Pasta:

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/chicken-alfredo-pesto-pasta-95135.aspx

We needed a little baking soda to thicken the sauce, but other than that, it was so tasty!